14 February, 2016

A Little Bit of Mystery Science Theatre 3000



WOW it's been a while. I haven't had much time to  dedicate to this blog, but if I occasionally post smaller posts, I think I can manage it around my busy, busy, totally-not-procrastation-filled life.

I wanted to share a website I found the other day that made my week!

http://www.club-mst3k.com/

If you're not familiar with Mystery Science Theatre, but you're a fan of b-movies, then...where have you been? This pre-dates Rifftrax but it's by the same team. An average Joe and his robot friends are prisoners on the 'Satellite Of Love', and are subject to watching terrible films and old 50's PDA's and short films. You've probably seen their famous silhouette of the seats and the 3 characters sitting to the right,up at a screen.
I first saw them when I was about 11 or 12, while flicking through Sky Movies one day. I've always been on the lookout for 50's sci fi, or golden age horror films, especially since when I was about 5 or 6, there would be the occasional film on the weekends on normal TV. Sometimes it would be 1 Million Years BC, or something like Journey To The Centre Of The Earth  or Robinson Crusoe On Mars.  Needless to say, while I was left with images that really stuck with me, I was always rather let down by the amount of monsters on screen. Sometimes you got a cool iguana-with-horns-stuck-on-its-head-type monster, or some stop-motion, but I had always seen cooler things on parodies of b-movies, or montages. I saw one Harryhausen movie once, and possibly King Kong Vs. Godzilla. One day I caught The Killer Shrews but it genuinely creeped me out - something about the terrible audio quality and grainy footage of giant shrews that definitely were not dogs with old carpets thrown over their backs,


I should note that I had no internet at this point in my life, so I couldn't just Google a famous monster I kind of knew and watched clips on whatever website came before Youtube.

Anyway - I came across this film called Mystery Science Theatre 3000 The Movie and my attention was instantly caught. The film subjected to riffing was This Island Earth, a pretty decent sci fi film - and everything changed.
There was only one other time I ever laughed so hard in my life at a concept so obscure, and that was the first time I saw The Naked Gun. It eventually got taken off Sky, but that brand of humour and b-movie appeal meant that I caught it every single time it appeared on TV.

I didn't realise it was a show until I obtained that glorious, aesthetic-less, graphic designer's nightmare that was 2003-era internet. But once I did, I strived to find as much of this show as I could.


I've seen loads of them now, and this website will allow me to fill in the gaps. You should all do yourselves a favour, and watch them all, possibly starting with the Laserblast episode or the Space Mutiny episode. Go on. 

Go on!

No comments:

Post a Comment