02 December, 2015

My Terrible Addiction to Shit

Another awful photo. This is my B-movie collection as of the end of 2015. I'm afraid I am that guy who, if you invite round your house for a night of films/games/drawing and drinking, I WILL bring which ever ones I think you would enjoy the most. I am proud.

The way I see it, for every good film there are a hundred bad films, and every hundred bad films contain at least 5 gems. A lot of these I have had for many years, coming into my life in the for of unlucky finds, lucky finds, and most of all, as unlucky finds. There are the classic titles in there - Battlefield Earth, Hercules In New York and THAT Titanic animated feature need no introduction to those who are experienced in punishing themselves with silver-screen incompetence. These are the films that, when I saw each of them in various charity shops, I knew exactly what they were and did not hesitate on purchasing.
There are also those which are B-movies, but also damn good films. Evil Dead I, II, Army Of DarknessZombie Flesh Eaters (AKA Zombi II) and King Kong VS. Godzilla  are all entertaining, more-so for the right reasons than the wrong. Frogs is also a competent, if boring film.
Though perhaps if a film about killer frogs slowly hopping their way towards an isolated group of idiots is boring, then it fails. This is a running theme with the B-movies starring real animals. The Black Cat is directed by Zombi II director Lucio Fulci. I can't remember where it's from, but I was disappointed that it didn't live up to its cover. The same can also be said for Bear, which is a film made by people who could get a real bear. Not a zombie bear, or a monster bear - just a bear. about 75% of that film however is just dull characters sat in a dull car and occasionally running from a dull cameraman. They attempt to build character, but when your film is called Bear, I ain't interested in Mr. and Mrs. Human's debt problems. Iron Monkey, which refers to the fighting style, is the best of the live-action animals, since I was pleasantly surprised that the first 5 minutes contains a clip of a monkey fighting an eagle. Just like in nature.
Movie's in my collection based on name is a rare-but-welcome claim. Creepozoids was a gift, and contains everything you need in 80's sci fi shlock.  It's safe to say that Marvel got their idea for the MCU from film crossover extravaganza Dollman Vs Demonic Toys. That was also a gift. My friends know me well! Bram Stoker's Legend Of The Mummy 2 was my fault. I wanted to see this blatant cash-in on Coppola's Dracula so badly, that I made my friends sit through one of the dullest films we had ever witnessed, It was worth it for the end credits however, as some of the crew members seemed to have given fake names, including Eric Cartman. There were also numerous food puns in them, but to find them again would mean watching parts of this film again.

I'd love to eventually write about each of these, reviewing them or using them in other rants.

No comments:

Post a Comment